The Skilled Regional Visa Australia, known as subclass 489 in Australia, is temporary. It is for those who have skills and experience that are extremely demanded in Australia’s regional or low population growth areas.
What Do You Mean by a Skilled Regional Visa Australia?
It is a visa that allows you to live and work in a specified region for 4 years in Australia. Also, you can bring your family. There are two streams:
- Invited pathway
- Extended stay pathway
Skilled Regional Visa Australia has an invited pathway visa application that is based on points. It requires that the candidate needs to submit an Expression of Interest through their chosen skill selection. Also, they will be nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency that is sponsored by an eligible living in a specified regional area of Australia.
Once it gets finalized, it will be valid upto four years from the issue date. However, the visa holder’s name should be living, studying, and working in the specified region and low population growth area. Remember that if a skilled regional visa holder decides to apply for a permanent resident subclass 887 visa, the candidates need to give proof that they have spent the dedicated time in the required regional area.
Extended Stay Pathway
For skilled workers on an Independent Regional Visa subclass 495, designated area sponsored visa subclass 496, or regional sponsored visas subclass 475 and 487, the Extended Stay Pathway is possible. Before applying for the extended stay pathway of the subclass 489 visa, skilled workers must have had one of the visas as mentioned above for at least two years and have met all visa restrictions.
The extended-stay visa, once approved, is valid for four years from the day the visa holder received the initial provisional visa (subclass 475, 487, 495, or 496).
One of the essential benefits of a Skilled Regional Visa Australia (Subclass 489) is that it gives you and your family permission to stay in Australia for up to four years, living, working, and studying in a specific regional area. While the visa is valid, you may travel in and out of Australia.
Requirements for Skilled Regional Visa in Australia
To be eligible for a Subclass 489 Provisional Visa in Australia, you must meet the following requirements under Australian immigration law:
- Age must be under 44 years.
- Work experience in the designated field in Australia’s eligible skilled occupation list.
- At Least need to score 65 points on the Australian points test system that is designed for immigration.
- You should possess a positive skills assessment from a relevant assessing authority.
- Need to have an experience that meets the needs of a state or territory.
- Need the desired level of expertise in English from IELTS.
- You must fill out an Expression of Interest form (EOI)
- You’ll need to fill out a State Sponsorship Application.
- To receive a valid Police Clearance Report, you must meet the basic health and character standards.
- After obtaining the visa, you must dwell in a sponsoring regional area or state for two years.
Before applying for long-term residency, you must live in a local area for at least two years and work full time with a minimum of 35 hours per week for at least 12 months on a Skilled regional visa in Australia.
Also Read: Explore Visa Options to Study in Australia